4... Bf5 (Vienna)    
  0 (0.0%)
4... e3 (refused)    
  0 (0.0%)
4... c6 (O'Kelly)    
  7 (17.1%)
4... c5 5.d5 (Albin on the white side)    
  0 (0.0%)
You'd rather play 1.d4 d5 2.e4 dxe4 3.Nc3 e5!?    
  6 (14.6%)

Total votes: 41
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is your fav. black way of play against BDG (Read 10778 times)
ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: What is your fav. black way of play against BD
Reply #8 - 07/31/05 at 07:51:30
Post Tools
If you like the Caro, let's imagine : 1.d4 d5 2.e4 c6, ok it his actually the starting position of the Caro but after Nc3, main move, black plays 3..dxe4 and now 4.f3 enter in the BDG Ziegler defense if he take the pawn, or enter in a type of game that the BDG player want even if you doesnt take on f3. Against the french, White can't force Black to reach a BDG, but there is some pseudo-BDG like the Alapin, the Diemer-Duhm, or if Black plays system like the Rubinstein : 1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6 3.Nc3 dxe4, the BDG player can try to enter in the Euwe defense of the BDG with 4.f3. And if he plays the classical French with 3..Nf6, then standard french move 4.Bg5, and again, if he take on e4 I play f3, and can transpose in the Euwe, and if he plays the MacCutchon or Be7, then I play normal french with White, that a BDG player should know also.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #7 - 07/30/05 at 23:52:09
Post Tools
I you like the Caro-Kann, can't you just as easily play 1.d4 d5 2.e4 c6?  I mean if you play both the French and the CK then I would think you would play this too (as opposed to 1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6) depending on your mood.  Of course you probably don't meet a lot of BDG's anyway.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 07/30/05 at 21:38:39
Post Tools
I like 1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6 as well.

I agree with MNb that the Blackmar-Deimar is not quite sound, but I like to win games rather than test my memory.  The French allows me to do this. 

Occasionally I face 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 de4 4.f3.  In those cases, I try for ...e5 at the earliest feasible moment.  I have had great success with the French and this line of the Caro-Kann, but (fortunately) I haven't faced the BDG against strong experts or masters in serious play.  Maybe there's a reason for it? Wink

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 06/29/05 at 21:42:35
Post Tools
The question was, what is my favourite black way and not what do I think objectively best!
I have always been convinced, that Black only can try to refute the BDG by accepting it. And I hesitate between 4...c6 5.Bc4 exf3, 5...g6 and 5...Bf5.
That Monty Python scene is great. If I remember well (it has been almost 20 years ago), the knight was black, but it was not King Arthur fighting him. The quote is correct, though you should have mentioned that the green/black knight had his arms and his legs chopped off.
Naah, I like to play a gambit, but not the BDG.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #4 - 06/29/05 at 21:13:27
Post Tools
Gunderam (5...Bf5) looks very good now!  I think 4...c6 and 5...c6 are also good and relevant to transpositions from the Caro-Kann.  However, looking at the game Schoupal-Bonsai has steered me even more towards the opinion that 5...Bf5 is probably be the most effective way to meet the BDG.  Also 4...Bf5 (recommended by Wahls) doesn't look bad either.  But here I am beginning to think that 5...Bf5 is the most effective and least complicated solution!  You have two good choices:  Bonsai's approach and Markovich's recommendation.  I am little surprised that I am only one who has voted for this move. 

A funny observation:  When the BDG supporters start claiming a draw for White, I think that is often a good sign that White is having serious problems.  It kind of reminds the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where King Arthur is fighting the Green Knight (or was he black?!), and after this absurd fight sequence, the Green Knight says, "We'll call it a draw."  And as King Arthur walks away, the knight is taunting him, "Chicken!  Chicken!  I'll bite you with my teeth!" (or something very similar).  I am joking, but this sometimes reminds me of die-hards who get a little carried away.  Sometimes I wonder in some cases if the same person was given the same position without knowing it was the BDG, if they would be so supportive of the white side.

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

Mike Thomas

So many openings, so little
time!

Reply #3 - 06/29/05 at 18:48:28
Post Tools
Quote:
My favourite is 1.d4 e6.
My second favourite would be: 1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6.
This is not a matter of chickening out, but a matter of lazyness.

I don't think that it's either chickening out or laziness. In the few times over the years that I've faced the BDG I've also responded by transposing to the French. For psychological reasons White invariably played 3.Be3 (the Alapin-Diemer Gambit) against me, against which I've scored 100%. It's just a question of angling for a more favorable opening line.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Lev D. Zilbermints

Reply #2 - 06/28/05 at 22:15:10
Post Tools
Well, I would not chicken out of accepting the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit.  If I were Black, I would play the Teichmann Defense Accepted, 5...Bg4  6 h3 Bxf3  7 Qxf3 c6.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 06/28/05 at 21:03:25
Post Tools
My favourite is 1.d4 e6.
My second favourite would be: 1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6.
This is not a matter of chickening out, but a matter of lazyness.
« Last Edit: 06/29/05 at 05:27:52 by MNb »  

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bubu13
YaBB Newbies

Chess is not a science
! It is a game !!

What is your fav. black way of play against BDG
06/28/05 at 09:20:58
Post Tools
What is your favorite way of meeting the BDG ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo